It’s summertime in Nashville and you know what that means… or do you? Nashville is booming with amazing fresh and local produce and food at farmer’s market locations all around the city. Today, I wanted to share with you the why, what, and where guide to farmers markets.
We’re truly lucky here in Nashville to be surrounded by such amazing farmers, CSA’s, and access to affordable and healthy food at farmers markets around town. Going to any of these farmers markets is a great way to not only get to know your community, but also discover new local businesses, support our farmers, and take home delicious fruits, vegetables, and more. The more we can support each other and local farming/food, the healthier our community becomes.
Top reasons why you should be shopping at your local farmers market:
- Eating locally is delicious! When food is at it’s peak ripeness and in season, they have amazing flavor profiles.
- Help reduce the carbon footprint and protect our environment
- Nourish your body with whole foods in season
- Add variety and new foods to your diet
- Learn how to cook with new foods/produce you’ve not used before
- Fresh, fresh, fresh food
- Kinder treatment of animals, especially obtaining animal proteins
- Safer foods. You know exactly where they’re coming from
- Connect with the community!
- It’s fun. It’s a fun experience to see directly where your food is coming from and to meet the farmer who put a lot of time, love, and dedication to growing those crops to share.
- East Nashville new location in Shelby Park
- West Nashville: West End Farmers Market off Vine st. and West Nashville farmers market
- Downtown Nashville (Nashville Farmers Market) off Rosa Parks blvd.
- Donelson Farmers market off Lebanon Pike
- 12th South farmers market in Sevier Park
- Franklin Farmers Market
- Green Hills
I hope to see you all around the farmers market this year!
Eat well, live well, be well,
McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN
Check this out! Tennessee leads the country in Farmers market growth!